Tuesday, March 5, 2013

15 Questions for Michelle

Name: Michelle Marie Rider
Birthday: 8/1/81


1. What does the name Rider translate to? Rider translates to Rider. I’m thinking an ancestor used to ride horses, or something to do with riding, like owning a ranch? I got teased in elementary school once because of my last name. A kid imitated riding a horse, and I shot him a dirty look. And a high school teacher referred to the movie Easy Rider when he first met me. I thought he was calling me easy. I should probably give that movie a try.

2. Where are your family roots from? Pretty sure from England, Ireland, & Germany. My mom once said there were some Polish, & Native American in us too...but we can’t trace it back. If you mean by in the States? Tiny towns in upstate New York: Warsaw, Castile, & Silver Springs.

3. How have your parents influenced you? hmmm...that’s hard. In general ways like growing up with cats → hence my love of cats. And baking → I love to bake. My mom loves to garden, but that’s more recently. I’ve recently found my dad is a pretty good listener, and he’s good at being open to new ideas. I say Please & Thank you often?

4. Can you remember your earliest childhood memory of happiness and that of fear? My earliest memory of happiness was falling asleep while being rocked in our rocking chair by my mom or great-grandmother. For fear, I used to have nightmares about a big ball of needles pricking my hands. Strange, huh?

5. Is there something in your life that you feel very passionate about? In the past few years I’ve really focused on gardening & getting my hands in the dirt. I love plants and want to surround myself with them.

6. If you could be any animal, what animal would that be? plant? and insect? why? I would be so many things! A three-toed sloth, an elephant, or a panda bear. For plants definitely a jade plant (succulents!). For insects: either a monarch butterfly caterpillar, or a honeybee. It’s all good to me, so long as I don’t get eaten.

7. What is it about being an Acupuncturist that keeps you satisfied for it to be your career? I really love that Acupuncture is versatile. You can treat a myriad of things either within a patient, or within a practice. I appreciate, and love, that we have so many adjunctive therapies to use as well - herbs, tui na & massage, cupping, & gua sha to name a few. Each type of therapy could become a bigger or smaller part of your practice. It’s just awesome to see people respond well to it. I love that it’s all about helping folks.

8. Can you tell us something that you just learned that intrigued you? There are about a dozen cities in the US that print & use their own currency. Pittsboro, North Carolina is one & they use a currency called PLENTY. It’s only used within town and it helps to promote business locally. It’s taxed like any other dollar and you can even exchange it cash at the local bank. Neat!

9. What is your perception of how people see you? I think it depends on the person. If I don’t really know someone that well I’m less likely to be super open and express all my inner thoughts. My close friends might see things differently: that I’m opinionated, undecided, stubborn - but can go along with things, supportive, sweet, generous.

10. What are the qualities that draw you to people that you can base a friendship on? I really appreciate my friends because they’re genuinely friendly, funny, thoughtful and aren’t afraid to talk some serious s#*t. If I can do that with someone it’s a good chance they’ll be my friend.


11. What's the best and worst decision you ever made? Best decision: moving to New York to be with Chris. Worst decision: letting procrastination take over on interesting projects.

12. Can you narrate to me your proudest moment? I think my proudest moment was when I used to dance. I was asked to perform an Isadora Duncan solo, with a grand piano on stage. Having my family in the audience, & seeing them made me really happy. Other than that, seeing my nephew Noah scream ‘Auntie Michelle!’ and watching him grow up makes me proud. Such a cool kid.

13. What do you find most ridiculous about life? Politics & media. How ridiculous they’ve both become is such a sham.

14. Can you share a topic that causes your blood to boil? There’s a few. Fracking - it’s the worst. Politics. ‘Pro-Life’. Folks who have no sense of conservation regarding the environment.

15. If you could take a peek in your future (say 10 years from now), what would it look like? I think it would look pretty good. On a farm with my man, growing my acupuncture & massage practice, with kids running around.

Thanks Michelle!! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...